Family Weekend Gratitude
Its Family Day tomorrow in Alberta. This day many businesses will be closed as we celebrate the importance of families and family life to people and their communities. So, of course, this week’s list is centered around people in my family for whom I am thankful.
1. My Dad. It was about 12 years ago that he told my husband that he wanted our family to start taking ski vacations together and it was time that he learned how to ski. The first two years were a bit rough for JB, but he has become a good skier. Which leads me to..
2. My husband. About 12 years ago he could have drawn a line in the sand, told my dad to buzz off, that he was not going to learn to ski.. but he didn’t. He took lessons and fell on his butt and kept getting up. As noted above, he is really good skier and can often be caught reading multiple snow reports in order to make an informed decision about the best place to hit the slopes, (though he will say this is NOT over-engineering, it’s just being thorough).
3. The sense of adventure that shows up in my children. They tackled a new mountain last Friday. We had not skied Sunshine Village before, and really did not know what to expect. They took to it like pros, never said “no” and we all had a great day. I am also happy to report that the three of them will be tough to keep up with in a few short years.
4. Whomever put the “I Closed Wolski’s” bumper sticker on the chairlift pole at Sunshine Village. It cracked us up, because I actually have closed Wolski’s on a couple of occasions with some good friends. JB and I reminisced about friends and family in Wisconsin on and off for the rest of the day. Down side is that my children now know what it means to “close a bar”.
5. It would be almost criminal if I did not mention Carnevale, celebrated this past week at our school. I am also thankful for the parent volunteers at our children’s school that put together a great French and Italian “Mardi Gras” festival. The kids learned about traditions in both cultures centered about Mardi Gras and we all had a blast.
Here’s to Family and Family Day.. I hope you and yours have a great week!